Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rough Week


This has been the darkest week of Sasha's brief little life. Since Monday night when she started vomiting every 1/2 hour through the night, her poor little body has endured high fevers, bouts of diarrhea, and total lack of energy to even eat or drink. A trip to the pediatrician early in the week led to a diagnosis of Rotavirus which can last for 3-9 days. We ended up in the E.R. on Friday night after she vomitted the only 2 ounces of Pedialyte we had been able to force down her with a dropper over 48 hours. Her blood sugar was low so after she was rehydrated with IV fluids and given an anti-nausea medication, she was able to drink some sugary juice and keep it down. Fortunately today she is showing the first signs of getting better. The hardest part for me as a mom was not cleaning up the countless messes or doing loads of laundry, but just seeing my normally perky, active daughter lying listless in my arms for days. As I smoothed back her hair from her feverish face, I was amazed once again at how much I love this little girl--more than I ever thought possible--and how fierce my sense of protection for her is. We are so thankful that she is finally starting to feel better.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh Jess! We're cheering for a quick recovery. What a terrible thing to go through for all of you. Wish we were close enough to bring by some soup.