Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Jack Philip Smucker is here!

Jack decided to make his grand entrance 12 days early. My water broke at 5:15 am after a fitful night of discomfort and little sleep. I actually had prayed in earnest for the first time that this baby would come NOW before I went to sleep that night. My prayers were answered and above is just before we left for the hospital that morning as we were waiting for my parents to arrive from Albuquerque to stay with Sasha.
After about 15 hours of labor and much harder pushing than I ever expected for a second labor (it turns out he was sunny-side up) he "popped out" as Sasha says. We were so thrilled to discover that we had a boy! He arrived at 9:23 p.m. weighing 6 lbs. 5 oz. and is 18 1/2 inches.
Once again Phil was a super star labor coach and has easily jumped back into the newborn parenting phase.
Going on day 3 and Sasha has been so good with this huge change in her life. She is very gentle with little Jack and tries, most of the time successfully, to be very helpful with all the baby care. Phil is off this week and we are really enjoying finding our balance as a family of 4. For some reason it has been so much easier for me to bounce back physically and emotionally this time which I am grateful for. I attribute some of that to the lovely weather right now vs. the cold, dark grey Indiana weather Sasha was born into. I know though that the true test will be when I'm on my own in a few weeks with Phil back to work and mom and dad not here as often.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Congratulations Jess, Phil and Sasha! Jack is adorable - can't wait to meet him! I'm so glad you are doing well and that Sasha is embracing her big sister role. Enjoy these magical first days!

Kate said...

Congratulations!! Jack is gorgeous (and so are you, Jessica!). Does he have as much hair as Sasha did? I'm sure you will do great as a family of 4. Give Jack a big sloppy kiss from the Dutkiewicz Family!

holtzharold said...

Congrats Jess, Phil, & Sasha! So happy to read about the arrival of Jack.. and glad everything is going so wonderfully for you all in N. Mexico.